South Carolina Pioneers

Spartanburg County Probate Records

Spartanburg Spartanburg Spartanburg County and the city of Spartanburg were named for the Spartan Regiment, which was a local militia unit which fought in the Revolutionary War. The county itself was formed in 1785 and was part of Ninety Six District. It became part of the Pinckney District from 1791 to 1799. In 1897, part of Spartanburg County went to form Cherokee County. During the late 18th century, an influx of the Scotch-Irish moved into this area from Pennsylvania and Virginia. A famous resident was hymn writer and publisher William Walker (1809-1875) and Army general William C. Westmoreland (1914-2005).

Spartanburg County Records Available to Members of South Carolina Pioneers.net Transcripts of Spartanburg County Wills (1787-1816)
Testators:- John Arnold, James Ballenger, Andrew Barry, Robert Benson, Sally Bobo, Benjamin Bonner, George Brewton, David Bruton, William Cooper, Thomas Darby, Jesse Davis, Anthony Foster, Henry Foster, Isham Foster, Moses Foster, William Foster, Peter Frie, Amey Golightly, John Gowen, William Gowen, Edward Hering, John Hewiatt, Benjamin High, Thomas House, Charles James, Christopher Johnson, Margaret Jourdan, Samuel Lancaster, Absalom Lancaster, Zackariah Leatherwood, Joel Lewis, John Lewis, Edward Lipscomb, Samuel Lotts, George McCarter, Charles McClain, Thomas Meadows, William Menders, Michael Miller, Henry O'Neill, Sarah Penny, Thomas Penny, Reuben Perkins (deed), Joseph Price (estate), Richard Prince, Christopher Rhodes,Edward Smith, William Stone, Joel Traylor, John Turner, John Turner (estate), William Underwood, John Walker, Daniel Walling, Thomas Weaver, Osborn West, Thomas Williamson, Abner Wingo, James Wofford, John Wofford, Thomas Wright.

Miscellaneous Wills
  • Bearden, John
  • Langston, John
  • Langston, Nathan
  • West, James
Newspapers
  • List of Newspapers in Spartanburg and Greenville







A Goal, Pillory, Whipping-Post and Stocks
By Jeannette Holland Austin
Jeannette Holland Austin
Somewhere around January of 1787, a 16-foot square jail was constructed in Spartanburg made of squared oak logs. The cells were three feet wide with casings and contained common-sized jail locks on each door, strengthened by iron bars. The pillory, whipping-post and stocks were finished the same year. The pillory, a device used for public humiliation, was built on a wooden or metal framework erected on a post with holes to secure the head and hands.

Pillory


Map of Spartanburg County


arrow Become a Members

Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Follow us by Email. Just add your Email below

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




More South Carolina Databases