Historic Cockspur Island, South Carolina
Cockspur Island Lighthouse is located near Tybee Island which is east of Savannah, Georgia. It was constructed of oyster-shell, so typical of this vicinity and is only two-hundred feet in length. The light house is also known as the South Channel Light, and was built in 1857, replacing one which was built in 1848. The main purpose is to mark the south channel of the Savannah River. During the War Between the States a famous artillery battle was fought between the Confederates on Fort Pulaski and the Union forces across the bay on Tybee Island. The lighthouse sustained damage because it sat in the bay between the two forces.