Morris Island was first inhabited ca 1762 when the first light house was built. This was after the French and Indian War during the time that South Carolina was still a colony of Great Britain. At first, it was lit with burning pitch, oakum and candles. This first light house was replaced in 1837 by a new one near Fort Sumter, and was destroyed during the War Between the States. The present light house began in 1874 and was put at the mouth of the Charleston Harbor (once Morris Island). Nearby was the home of the keeper of the lighthouse, a three-story structure. The new lighthouse on Sullivan Island currently replaced that of Morris Island.